Some people might think I’m crazy for hoarding magazines, but I love using them to create vision boards. As they say, one person’s trash is another’s treasure. This is a great way to express your creative side and you can use the pictures and words you cut out to make so many things – books, cards, notebooks, decorations, posters, scrapbook pages, etc.
So first comes first….What exactly is a vision board?
This idea became really popular from the book The Secret, but there is even evidence that cave paintings from prehistoric times were created for the same reasons. Ultimately, it is a way to focus your thoughts on the law of attraction and attracting more of what you hope for in life. Of course, creating a vision board is not all you need to do in order to attract the things you would like, because like all things, you need to put forth effort as well. However, I think of it as a way of organizing your thoughts and dreams to help get you started and shift your energy on the right things.
Why create a vision board?
Think of a vision board as the first step in getting you closer to the things you hope for. Sometimes re-shifting our focus is all we need to help get us moving in the right direction, and this is a wonderful outlet to help get you there.
The best part of using vision boards is when you start to see the things you’ve been hoping for coming to life. It can be really magical. Below are some examples of pages from a little vision board book I created in the past. Literally, almost every single thing has come to life in some way, shape or form. After creating it, I traveled to places in the photos and created better habits and routines that mirror those in the photos I chose to use.
How to create a vision board:
1. Set the mood:
- Put on some music that you enjoy – as we all know music is the key to our soul!
- Find a setting that you feel calm and peaceful in. This is a great activity to do either alone or with a group of like-minded friends. (Also, remember that sometimes even those who are not as open to it might benefit from this as well!)
2. Get your supplies ready.
- old magazines
- glue sticks
- paper/cardstock/notebooks/posters/scrapbook paper – depending on what type of board you would like to make this can vary…but here are a few examples and samples of some of the different ways I like to use vision boards:
- Corkboard decorations
3. Get started!
- Browse and cut and create! This is the fun part. When you see a word or picture that catches your eye and is something you want to be or attract, cut it out. There is no right or wrong way to do this. You can collect words, phrases, and pictures, anything you want and organize them any way you want. You can also write in your own words or drawings. You don’t have to be an artist to make a vision board. You will find that once you begin collecting the ideas you want to attract, there is a beauty in them all on its own.
4. Live your life.
- Put your vision board in a safe place. It could be somewhere visible or not, you have already set the intentions when you created it so there is no need to look at it constantly to measure your progress. Think of it the same as planting a seed. It takes time and patience, but as long as you have planted it to start with and take the steps to give it what it needs, in time the seed will sprout and bloom. Life is the same. The vision board is a way of planting seeds in your head of who you want to be and what you want to attract or accomplish in life. So wait, live and enjoy and watch in time how the beautiful seeds in your soul will begin to sprout. Remember that things will not always work out perfectly, sometimes there will be storms that could prevent your seed from blossoming, but in the long run just remember that everything happens for a reason. Those storms could be making way for a different beautiful seed to find its way! So just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!
Watching your dreams become a reality is a fun thing to do…so get started and let the energy you create build momentum to create a life you crave…